Visit in the area
Southern Burgundy offers beautiful sights. Whatever your expectations during your vacation, the many sights of the Saône et Loire will for sure tempt you.
According to your preferences, you may discover :
- the many castles in the neighborhood : Cormatin, Germolles, Brancion, La Rochepot, Sully, Berzé le Chatel, etc ...
- the stunning roman art's Abbey of Cluny, Tournus churches, Paray le Monial, St. Gengoux, Chapaize and picturesque villages etc ...
- the natural curiosities : the caves of Azé or Blanot , the Rock of Solutré and the picturesque Wine Road course.
- the famous Hospices de Beaune, the Niepce Museum (inventor of photography) in Chalon sur Saône , museums dedicated to the discovery of wine ("Cassissium" Nuits Saint Georges , "Hameau du vin" Romaneche Thorins etc ...)
- various leisure activities : forest adventure park "Acrogivry" in Givry, boating on lake Laives, balloon trip in Moroge , wine trail in Montagny, natural site of Mont Avril, discovering the Filletières goats farm of Chenoves etc. ...
And not only these sites deserve to be seen: the Maconnais, Beaujolais, Bresse or the Côte d'Or worth it.
Bike rides, rollerblading or walking
Cycling is a passion in the area ! Join the "Greenway" : secure, safe from traffic, it crosses the department of Saône et Loire for about 200 km.
Access is very close to the house (2 km) and will allow you to join Cormatin, Cluny, Buxy, Givry or the towpath of the Canal du Centre and the "blue route" along the river.
Marked cycling loops attached to all the greenway will allow you to enjoy the local, craft and cultural life of Southern Burgundy on over 700km. (One of these loops run through Culles-les-Roches, just outside the house !)
Many walks are possible around the village of Culles-les-Roches, either quick walk or large energetic hike. There are many paths and the many marked trails allow you to discover contrasting and various landscapes (forests, hills covered with vineyards, meadows, mountains, quaint villages, local heritage etc ...).
No visit to the region would be complete without tasting the local wines that are the hallmarks of Southern Burgundy : Montagny, Givry, Mercurey, Rully, Cote Chalonnaise etc ...
Most villages (Saint Gengoux, Buxy, Bissey sous Cruchaud etc ...) have a cooperative where a selection of wines from the surrounding vineyards can be enjoyed.
But you can also visit local producers and growers. They are always friendly and their enthusiasm for wine is contagious !
Burgundy is famous for its gastronomic specialties (poached eggs, Charolais beef, Burgundy snail, ham marbling etc ...) that you can enjoy nearby in a range of restaurants offering simple daily menus to gourmet meals for greediest.
We are only 30 minutes from Chagny and Beaune, Dijon 1h and 1h30 from Lyon, famous for their "large tables" of French cuisine, not to mention the local towns (Chalon sur Saône, Tournus, Mâcon, Buxy , Igé) where great restaurants especially worth seeing.
Local Markets - Flea markets
Local markets (eg Saint Gengoux 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month) will surely delight you with its authentic atmosphere and allow you to discover and enjoy the products of the farm.
You can also definitely get a "good deal" in one of the flea markets or local flea markets , held the weekend in the area.